Biostar Handbook Updates
This page list the updates to the book.
Please note that you have to be logged in to access the book.
November 1st, 2018
Installation instructions reworked.
September 1st, 2018
Updated the instructions on computer and software setup. Ongoing changes to the lectures in the online course. Additional presentation have been and will be added to certain lectures.
The course is being used as a textbook in a graduate level course in Bioinformatics. All chapters will be revisited, edited and modified as needed.
June 3rd, 2018
Python Programming course started. Lectures will be added over a period of approximately one year.
December 14th, 2017
The "Learn Bioinformatics in 100 hours" online course has been completed.
The course provides a path through the book and contains 30 lectures with slides, assignments and tests.
September 12th, 2017
- The Download: Biostar-Handbook-September-2017.zip
Based on student feedback we have reworked, simplified and consolidated all computer setup related sections.
You can now follow simple, step-by-step instructions on computer and software setup.
August 8th, 2017
A chapter on Metagenomics has been added
- Introduction to metagenomics
- How to analyze metagenomics data
- Taxonomies and classification
- Microbial sequence data
- Classifying 16S sequences
- Human Metagenome Demonstration Projects
- Classifying whole-genome sequences
- A realistic sample: Alaska Oil Reservoir
- Tool installation
July 4th, 2017
April 6, 2017
A chapter on Chip-Seq analysis has been added:
- ChIP-Seq introduction
- ChIP-Seq alignments
- ChIP-Seq peak calling
- ChIP-Seq motifs
- ChIP-Seq analysis
- ChIP-Seq downstream 1
- ChIP-Seq downstream 2
January 28, 2017
Added the following sections:
- What is sequence assembly
- Assembly basics
- GAGE: Evaluation of genome assemblies
- Genome assembly terminology
- How to set parameters
- The lucky bioinformatician's guide to genome assembly
- How to perform a genome assembly
- Installing assembly software
Added a better web search interface that highlights the matches.
December 14, 2016
Archive contains PDF, MOBI and EPUB formats.
- Added the RNA-Seq Puzzle.
- Started section on Interval Data Types.
- Added more information on dealing with anxiety in data analysis.
- Proofreading and many other stylistic changes.
December 5, 2016
The first version of the book is released.